Posted on March 14 2021
Rit - Splatter Tie-Dye
Channeling our inner Jackson Pollock, the splatter master. We recreated the classic drip-and-splash style with our dyes for this unique, one-of-a-kind look.
Total: 30 minutes
- Prewash sweatshirt in warm, soapy water. This helps to remove any finishes that may interfere with dye absorption. Leave damp and set aside.
- Wearing rubber gloves, mix 2 tablespoons of well-shaken liquid dye with two cups of hot tap water. Add 1 tablespoon of salt. Pour into a squirt bottle. Shake well.
- Repeat the same process laid out in step 4 for desired colors.
- Cover work area with plastic table cover and have paper towels handy to protect against any possible spills.
- Lay sweatshirt flat on covered work area.
- To apply dyes, hold the squeeze bottle upside down and shake gently to create splatter effect. Be careful not to squeeze the bottles as that will release too much dye.
- Repeat with other colors as desired.
- Turn sweatshirt around and repeat for backside.
- To set the dye, do the following right after applying the dye:
- Apply Rit ColorStay Dye Fixative with a spray bottle, which will enhance the colors and reduce bleeding. Mix 2 tablespoons of well-shaken Rit ColorStay Dye Fixative with water and apply liberally to both sides of the jacket.
- After applying Rit ColorStay Dye Fixative , wrap sweatshirt in plastic wrap and seal the edges. Place the wrapped sweatshirt on a paper towel in the microwave and heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Plastic will puff up, creating a heat chamber that helps bond the dye with the fabric. Once the microwave is done, remove the sweatshirt and open the plastic, letting it cool down.
- Rinse in cold water until rinse water begins to run clear. This is very important to prevent unabsorbed dye from bleeding into any white areas.
- Wash in cold water with a mild detergent, rinse and dry.