Posted on May 28 2021
Rit - How to Make Shibori Dyed Beach Towel
Shared from: Rit blog Dated: 6th April 2019
We are all about having fun in the sun. And this truly unique shibori dyed beach towel is the perfect accessory! Whether you’re kicking it by the pool or on a tropical beach, you’re sure to make a splash with this colourful and hip new towel.
- White Beach Towel
- Rit All-Purpose Liquid Dye: Indigo Used Here or Royal Blue.
- Rit ColorStay Dye Fixative
- Rubber Bands
- Liquid Dish Detergent
- Large Plastic Container
- Measuring Cup
- Rubber Gloves
- Plastic Table Cover
- Paper Towels
- 1 Hour
2. Lay flat. Gather fabric in random sections and secure the pinch tightly with a rubber band. This is what creates the circle effect.
4. Add 1 teaspoon of liquid dish detergent to help promote level dyeing. Stir well.
5. Submerge beach towel in the dyebath.
7. Towel can remain in dyebath from 10 minutes up to one hour.
8. When desired colour is achieved, remove from dyebath. Fabric will look darker when wet and will dry lighter. Squeeze out excess dye.
9. Before removing the rubber bands, we strongly recommend using Rit ColorStay Dye Fixative on the dyed beach towel. It enhances the colour, increases colour retention and prevents dye from bleeding into white areas. Follow package instructions.
10. Rinse bound towel under cold water until water runs clear.
11. Carefully remove rubber bands with a scissors and unfold the fabric. Wash in warm water with a mild detergent, rinse and dry.