News — Books
Posted by Galy OConnor on
Paint, perform, and doodle your way through the Jewish holidays!
Guide your students through a process of unlocking the meaning of each holiday and its values through artistic projects and concepts.
Make drawing in response to hearing the shofar; create a nature collage for Tu BiShevat; act out the movement of a lulav.
Make, Create, Celebrate uses art as a way to help students connect with the underlying values of the holidays in a personal way, free from explaining the how-tos of each holiday.
Not an artist? Don't worry about it! These projects are about self-expression and ideas, and therefore, are for everyone. By the time students have compelte the holiday cycle, they will have created a portfolio full of their own work reflecting Jewish values.
- Gallery Tour: More than 15 beautiful, full-color images of contemporary and historical artworks with accompanying reflection questions.
- About Art: Explanations of art techniques
- Good to Know: Fun facts about the holidays
- Think About: Prompts and thoughtful questions that help learners apply their art experiences to the Jewish holidays
- Artist Statements: Space for students to write and reflect about their own work
- Peer Reviews: Opportunities for students to share their work with friends, and give and receive feedback.
- Video Links: Links to online, original videos by the author, Julie Wohl, that demonstrate activities within the source.