Posted on May 28 2021
Rit - How to Make Tie-Dye Bucket Hat
Shared from: Rit blog Dated: 27th May 2021
Stay cool—and look cool with a one-of-a-kind bucket hat in whatever colours your heart desires.
- Cotton Bucket Hat
- Tie Dye Accessory Kit
- All-Purpose Dye in Liquid or Powder
- ColorStay Dye Fixative
- Baking Rack and Tray
- Total: 1 hour
- Prewash bag in warm, soapy water. This helps to remove any finishes that may interfere with dye absorption.
- Visit our Tie-Dye techniques page to scrunch or pleat hat as desired. Secure with rubber bands.
- To prepare squeeze bottles follow the instructions below:
- Shake dye bottle well
- Wearing protective gloves, add 2 tsp of liquid dye or 1/4 tsp of powder dye to squeeze bottles.
- Add 1 tsp of salt if dyeing cotton, rayon, ramie or linen. Add 1 tsp of vinegar if dyeing silk or wool.
- Fill the remainder of the squeeze bottle with hot tap water.
- Place one finger over the bottle cap and shake well to dissolve the dye. Use caution when removing the cap.
- If dyeing with multiple colours, repeat for each colour.
- If temperature of dye mixture cools down during dye application, reheat mixture by microwaving the bottle for 15 seconds.
- Place bound hat on a baking rack over a tray to catch any excess dye.
- Apply dyes as desired.
- Once you’re satisfied with the application, allow the hat to sit and absorb the dye for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, apply Rit ColorStay Dye Fixative to maximise colour retention and reduce colour bleeding.
- Place hat in a the microwave tray provided with the Tie-Dye Accessory Kit and close lid by snapping tabs in place. Fabric must be completely damp when microwaved and cannot have any metal attached to it.
- If the microwave wattage is 1,000 watts, microwave for 2 minutes. If the wattage is 700 watts, microwave for 3 minutes. Do not leave microwave unattended while in use.
- After microwaving, let tray sit for 5 minutes. Open the lid and allow the garment to cool off for another 5 minutes or until it is cool to the touch.
- Rinse in cool water until the rinse water being to run clear and carefully remove rubber bands.
- Wash in cold water with a mild detergent, rinse and dry.