Posted on February 25 2022
Chocolate Strawberry Layer Cake
Shared from Wilton blog
This decadent chocolate strawberry cake takes a chic twist on a traditional dessert. Rich chocolate ganache, strawberry-infused whipped cream and sliced strawberries are sandwiched in between each layer for a delicious pop of colour and flavour in every bite. The unfrosted element to this chocolate cake also allows guests a sneak peek at the mouth-watering contents inside. This naked chocolate strawberry cake is the ultimate treat for Valentine’s Day dessert or a chocolate cake lover’s birthday.
- 2 teaspoons unflavoured gelatin
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar (powdered sugar)
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries, pureed and strained
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 ounces milk chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries, sliced + additional for garnish
- Large bowl
- Electric mixer
- 5 6-inch round cake pans
- Cooling grid
- Make the whipped cream.
- Sprinkle unflavoured gelatin over cold water. Let stand until softened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Heat in the microwave for 10-15 seconds, then stir until dissolved and liquid. Repeat if needed.
- In a large bowl, whip the cream and confectioners' sugar to soft peaks. Add dissolved gelatin and strawberry puree and whip until well combined.
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hours, or until gelatin has set and cream is spreadable.
Make the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Prepare pans with vegetable pan spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. Add vanilla and mix well.
- Add the flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating until just combined. Divide evenly into the prepared pans.
- Bake for 18-21 minutes, rotating the pans halfway between baking. Cakes are done when a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes on a cooling rack then remove from pans and cool completely.
Make the ganache:
- For ganache, heat cream until steaming. Add the chocolate and let sit until softened then stir until combined. Cool to room temperature.
Assemble the cake:
- To assemble, cut the crowns off of each cake layer. Place the first layer on a cake board or serving plate.
- Spread a thin layer of ganache to the edges of the cake. Cover with a thicker layer of strawberry whipped cream.
- Add a single layer of sliced strawberries, pressing gently into the whipped cream. Repeat with the remaining cake layers.
- Garnish top with additional whole strawberries.